Courses in the social sciences prepare students to engage within human society. Through courses such as economics, political science, anthropology, sociology, history, and psychology, students may gain a better understanding of how the world around them works.
- 1 What is a bachelor’s degree in social science?
- 2 What degrees are social science degrees?
- 3 Is social sciences a BS or BA?
- 4 What are the 5 major social sciences?
- 5 What can you do with a social science bachelor’s degree?
- 6 How long does it take to get your social science degree?
- 7 Which is the best social science degree?
- 8 Is Criminology a social science?
- 9 What is a degree in social science good for?
- 10 Is social sciences a good degree?
- 11 Is cognitive science considered a social science?
- 12 Is social science major hard?
- 13 What is the 8 branches of social science?
- 14 Which social science is the most important?
- 15 How many branches of social science are there?
A general bachelor’s degree in social science covers topics and material common in the disciplines, such as statistics, research methods, sociology, basic economics, history, professional communication, and philosophy. A bachelor of social science degree helps you pursue a number of careers.
The social science disciplines include anthropology, economics, geography, history, political science, psychology, sociology, American ethnic studies, women’s studies, and some areas of mass communications. Social science graduates have a variety of career options.
You can earn both Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees in social science, and both take about four years to complete. A B.A. typically requires more humanities and language courses, while a B.S. requires additional math and science-based courses.
Usually included within the social sciences are cultural (or social) anthropology, sociology, psychology, political science, and economics.
Jobs you can do with a bachelor’s in social science
- Intelligence analyst.
- Human resources manager.
- Police officer.
- Public relations manager.
- Political consultant.
- Social worker.
Students must typically complete 120 credits to earn a social science degree online. Full-time students can generally complete their program within four years.
Top Highest Paying Graduate Degrees In Social Sciences for 2019
- PhD in Political Science.
- Masters Degree in Finance.
- Masters Degree in Economics.
- Masters Degree in International Relations.
- Masters Degree in Organizational Psychology.
- PhD in Psychology or PhD in Clinical Psychology.
- Masters Degree in Occupational Therapy.
Criminology is the systematic study of law making, law breaking, and law enforcing. Criminology is a social science emphasizing systematic data collection, theoretical-methodological symmetry, and the accumulation of empirical evidence toward the goal of understanding the nature and extent of crime in society.
Professionals with a bachelor’s degree in social science can pursue careers as researchers, analysts, and educators. Graduates interested in education, for example, can become high school teachers in many social science subjects, such as social studies, geography, and history.
Students with an eye on their job prospects should take social science degrees, research suggests. They are also more likely to be in managerial or senior roles, says a Campaign for Social Science study. The authors analysed data on graduate destinations from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).
Cognitive sciences is also part of social sciences, but has stronger ties with biomedicine (neurology, pharmacology).
Roughly speaking, the natural sciences (e.g. physics, biology, astronomy) are considered “hard”, whereas the social sciences (e.g. psychology, sociology, political science) are usually described as “soft”.
The major social sciences are Anthropology, Archaeology, Economics, Geography, History, Law, Linguistics, Politics, Psychology and Sociology.
Education, social anthropology, and linguistics Education is one of the most important social sciences, exploring how people learn and develop. Social anthropology is the study of how human societies and social structures are organised and understood.
What are the branches of social science? The most important branches of Social Science are Anthropology, Economics, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, History, Law, Linguistics, Archaeology and Geography.